The position will be responsible for the supervision, control and management of daycare dogs and ensure the safety of the playgroup. The Kennel Assistant may also be assigned care of other animals boarding at the facility. Responsibilities also include maintenance and cleaning of the playrooms as well as other areas of the facility as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Interact with dogs in playgroups using appropriate toys and tools to ensure safe levels of play and minimizing stress levels of all dogs in playgroup. Maintain visual observation of dogs at all times and spread attention and play among all dogs in playgroups.
- Control level of play by following dog management and control procedures/instructions provided by management.
- Use proper dog handling techniques as instructed by management.
- Use proper dog introduction procedures along with appropriate praise and correction methods.
- Ensure you know all dogs in playgroup and can properly identify them. If not, request assistance from other staff or management.
- Maintain playroom as instructed per the posted checklist and procedures.
- Ensure that all staff that relieve you for break or shift change know all dogs in the group, the special needs of any dog and any unusual behaviors or concerns you have been managing during your shift.
- Complete dog incident reports timely when required.
- Walks through kennel areas checking each animal individually for any abnormal activity (vomiting, blood and diarrhea). Reports all abnormal activity to management and makes a note in the system so dog can be examined.
- Recognizes emergency situations, enlisting the aid of doctors and nurses.
- Administers medications to animals as required while on-site per instruction of management or owner of animal.
- Marks chart correctly for eating, drinking, fecal and urine production.
- Feeds and waters animals; cleans and disinfects all food and water bowls.
- Restrains animals as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Complete general cleaning duties as posted or assigned.
- Mop up accidents immediately and dispose of it as instructed.
- Dust and wet mopping of floors as assigned.
- Disinfect areas of facility as needed or assigned.
- Greeting customers and bringing dogs into playroom.
- Handling payments.
- Tracking dog attendance as needed.
- Answering phones as necessary.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Proven ability to work productively and efficiently in a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and multi-task in a high volume work flow with multiple priorities, interruptions and possible short-term deadlines.
- Ability to be flexible in a dynamic and challenging environment characterized by sometimes changing priorities and reacting to those priorities positively.
- Effectively and professionally communication in all areas of communication (verbal, non-verbal, written) with staff and customers.
- Proven ability to follow instruction and learn new things.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Requires a high school diploma or equivalent.
- Previous work experience providing animal care recommended but not required.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Employee is required to talk and hear, and use hands/fingers on keyboard, telephone and handle other objects. The employee is frequently required to walk, sit and reach with hands and arms.
Normal office environment with good lighting, and generally, little exposure to excessive dust, humidity or temperature. The noise level is usually moderate, limited to the operation of printers, completer equipment, typewriters, telephones, background music, conversation and barking dogs as they come and go from the facility. Job requires working without the aid of air conditioning for periods of time in the summer when outside with the animals.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only activities to be performed. The incumbent will be required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any other job related responsibilities requested by their supervisor.
This position description describes the minimum selection requirement to qualify for the position. However, promotion and other employment decisions are based on company needs, being in good standing, fully competent performance and other non-discriminatory issues.
This position description does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than ‘at will’ employee.
Get In Touch
11071 Watertower Ct.
Holland, MI 49424